Better late than never, right?🙂
Day 3 – So far I’ve managed to survive the work week with the rest of my team out of town. Overall, it was fairly quiet. Either word got around that I my DBA buddy gave me duct tape as part of my survival kit, or everyone thought I’d be really busy holding down the SQL fort by myself. Regardless, it was nice to have a quiet day.
I managed to get quite a bit of work done and didn’t make a fool of myself during the manager’s meeting, thankfully. Note: I’m not a manager. I just took my boss’s place in her absence. Although, it does amuse me that I receive mail at work indicating I’m an IT manager. Have no idea where that came from since I’ve never claimed to be any sort of manager. I tend to forget to water the plants in the office when my DBA buddy is away. So there goes my career as plant manager. Get it? Ha! Bad joke. Sorry.
The only SQL issue I ran into was attempting to grant the right permissions for certain users on one of our SQL Server 2008 development servers. Certain users have db_datareader and db_datawriter permissions on certain databases on this server. They needed the ability to view the list of tables via SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). Since there are thousands of tables (no exaggeration) in each of these databases, I didn’t really want to grant view definition on every single table. Yes, I could script it but I was hoping for a better/easier/quicker way. There are 2-4 schemas that own different tables. So instead, I granted them view definition on each schema thinking it would solve my problem. Nope. It didn’t work.
After researching it a bit, I ended up just granting them view definition on each database which shouldn’t hurt since it is development. It appears to have worked just fine. If anyone has better ideas, I’d love to hear them. :-)
I will admit that I am relieved that the office is closed tomorrow. Now I just need to work on my CTE presentation for the user group meeting next week.🙂